Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vespa


You know how some smells can take you back to certain moments in your life? I have that going on when I look at this poster. 

This time last year, I was living it up in not-so-sunny England with the sweetest fellow in existence: Max. Max loved his Vespa more than anything in the world--he wore a hoodie with a Vespa on it, he took pictures of random Vespas he'd see on the side of the road, my mom even got him a Christmas ornament of a Vespa. Obsession doesn't even begin to describe it. 

Anyway, the majority of our bonding-experience took place while on the back of his Vespa. We'd go everywhere--Hyde Park, Spitalfields, Brompton Road, The Strand, Tottenham Court Road...just everywhere, really. I'd wrap my arms around his middle, sing silly songs into his ear, and watch the world rush by. In a word, happiness. 

In fact, I don't think I've been as happy since those days of Vespa-filled travel--but, in looking at this poster, all that comes right back. The speed, the fun, the sunshine (well, perhaps not the sunshine...England's got sort of a constant October going on over there): this poster is just pure joy, absolute freedom. 

And so, I hope someone buys this poster in our May auction. I mean, how often does instant happiness on a page come up for sale? 

No comments:

Post a Comment