Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Mills


After noticing that the batch of fabulously 70s towels I purloined from my grandmother's house last weekend are made by Springs Mills, I feel inspired to write about one of the two posters in our next auction which advertises said fabric mega-corporation. 

I don't think I can really say too much about how charming this poster is. Slender, rosy-cheeked vision of loveliness jumping rope, all blonde curls and milky white skin. Yep, you guessed it--a PG-13 pinup queen straight out of the mid-1950s. Sex may sell, but sex disguised as innocents sells better. 

And what exactly is this poster selling, besides the pretty lady? Well, judging by the text, I have a feeling that her undergarments are in question (which, obviously, justifies the need to show off her knickers). No worries, though: if they're by Springmaid, then they are not only 'crease-proof,' but also 'anti-rebound.' Why do I have the sudden feeling that not even my far more modern underthings can compete with that? 

Put this little lady up in your powder room to remind you of a more discrete time. With an estimate of only $1200-1500, I bet you can justify it, even in a tight economy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment